Welcome To Mrs. Cox's 8th Grade ELA & Social Studies Webpage
On this page you will find information about grades, missing and late assignments, and my academic honesty policy. For a sneak peak of the week please read the information to the right under announcements. For more information regarding Language Arts or Social Studies please use the links the left.
- Profanity – We do not use profanity. We find other words that build each other up.
- Horseplay – We do not horseplay in the classroom or in the hallway. We keep our hands and feet to ourselves
- Responsible – We do not cheat off anyone or take credit for another person’s work.
- Sleeping – We do not sleep during class. We come to class prepared and alert.
- Respect – We respect each other and the classroom.
- Cellphones – We silence our cellphones and put them away during instructional time unless approved by Mrs. Cox
Discipline Policy: The following interventions will be in place as I work to assist students in developing positive behavior:
- Intervention #1 - Verbal Warning
- Intervention #2 - Writing Prompt (Behavioral Essay require parent's signature)
- Intervention #3 - Parent Contact
- Intervention #4 - Detention, Parent Contact, and Referred to Grade Level Counselor
- Intervention #5 - Second Detention and Parent Conference with Team
- Intervention #6 - Referral to Grade Level Administrator
Students who submit late work will receive a 70 (highest grade they can earn)
Make up Work
It is the students responsibilty to turn in late work or missing work. Class assignments must be completed during tutoring. Tutoring is held on Monndays and Tuesdays from 4:00 - 5:30. Please be prompt in arrival.
Academic honesty and personal integrity are fundamental components of a student’s education and character development. I expect that principled students will not cheat, lie, plagiarize, or commit other acts of academic dishonesty. The wellbeing of the entire school community depends on the student accepting responsibility for personal conduct in both social and academic endeavors.
Plagiarism is not tolerated. Plagiarism includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Using someone else’s words or ideas without proper citation
Copying someone else’s work and calling it your own
- Copying and citing a work that is longer than a paragraph (print or online sources)
Cheating is work that doesn’t reflect your own effort and understanding. This can take many forms and will not be tolerated.
Cheating includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Looking at others’ answers on tests and homework
- Taking someone else’s paper and putting your name on it
- Copying someone else’s work, answer for answer
- Rearranging words from someone else’s work
- Allowing someone to copy from your paper
- Telling someone else the answers on an assignment or test
- Having someone else do your work for you (Friends, Family, Tutors, etc.)
There are other forms of academic dishonesty that will not be tolerated. They include:
- Making up data for an assignment
- Claiming to have handed in an assignment when the student knows they have not done so
- Sabotaging someone else’s work
In any case of academic dishonesty, the participants will receive a zero on the assignment and may be given the chance to redo it for a grade no higher than a C.
WEEKLY ANNOUNCEMENTS Updated as of April 17, 2020
Only Quarter 1, 2, and 3 will count towards student promotion. Students are encouraged to complete their Credit Recovery to receive credit.
Quarter 1 Credit Recovery
Complete iReady assignments on grade level - complete at least 4 assignments a day and pass them
Quarter 2 Credit Recovery
USA Test Prep 2nd Nine Weeks Credit Recovery
***You MUST make at least a 70 on each assignment in order to be complete***
Quarter 3 Credit Recovery
Distance Learning assignments
Read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and do a book report.
If you have any questions please email me firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions you can contact myself or Ms. Moore email@example.com
Mrs. Nishayla Cox
Tutoring will be held on Mondays & Tuesdays from 4:00 - 5:30pm. Students can also use this time to make-up any work.
When assigned, students and parents will be notified 24 hours in advance. Detention is held Monday through Friday from 7:30 - 8:30am.
Homeroom/3rd & 6th Block @b648dfe
4th Block @9cd67k
5th Block @df7k278