Name: Mrs. V. Knox ED.STitle: 5th grade Math TeacherPhone: 706.772.6240Email: email@example.com
Welcome to Mrs. Knox's 5th grade Math Class! I am looking forward to having a great year with you and your student. Here are just a few things that you and your student should know about our classroom academics, expectations, grading policy and procedures.
Our 5th grade Mathematics Scope and Sequence: This is what we will learn this year
- Write and interpret numerical expressions (including those with parentheses, brackets, or braces).
- Analyze patterns and relationships.
- Understand the place value system.
- Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
- Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
- Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system.
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
- Graph points on the coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- Classify two-dimensional figures into categories based on their properties.
My Instructional Philosophy
All students are entitled to a quality, safe and rigorous education that instills a continuous love of learning.
Grading Scales/Weights (RCBOE Policy)
A = 100 - 90 Excellent achievement
B = 89 -80 Above average achievement
C = 75 - 79 Average achievement
D= 70 - 74 Below Average achievement
F = 69 - 0 Has not met expected achievement
Unit Assessments 30%
Formative Test/ Quizzes Assessments 30%
Class work/Participation 25%
Course Assessment Plan
Homework and Projects are given a due date. If the assignment is late the students will receive -2 points for each day after the due date. (Ex. Due date is 8/18/20 and it is turned in on 8/23/20. The student will receive 10 points off his/her total grade.)
- Students are required to keep a math notebook with class work, assignments and other information.
- The students will be taking a pretest and posttest for each unit. The test will consist of multiple choice questions and open-ended responses. Test will be announced.
- *Tutoring Days will be announced at a later date*
Classroom Daily Procedures/Expected Student Behavior:
- Complete Math Minute, Class Discussion, Introduction of Concept, Review and Practice,
Homework, Ticket out the Door.
- Students are expected to bring good manners and proper behavior to class. Please be respectful of yourself, your teachers and your classmates. The 4 P’s rule will be observed in my class. 1. Politeness, 2. Prepared-come to class with pencil, notebooks with paper, books and agenda. 3. Participate-students are encouraged to get involved in their learning. 4. Prompt-it is important for students to come to class on time.
- Consequences of poor behavior are 1. Warning, 2. Behavior contract, 3. Time Out to another class and Parental Notification. 4. Office Referral.
- Do not bring food, gum, candy or drinks to class.
Parent Conference Times
The 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month after school or before school. I am also open to scheduling a conference on a different day that works for both of our schedules.
Deer Chase Elementary phone number - 706-772-6240
*Please allow for a 24 hour turn around response time.
These are the basic guidelines for our class this year. I will be discussing them with your students at length in class. Please feel free to call or send a note if you have any questions or concerns.