The Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl (HRRB) BOOK CLUB is designed to increase reading comprehension and promote the joy of reading. The HRRB team will read two books a month until the competition. The TEAM will have weekly book talks and discussions. They will also play games and complete activities that are associated with the books.
TEAM MEMBERS: Madison Roberts, Jasmine Brihm, Mary Jane Gomez, Wykel Tedrick, Christopher Crawford, Christopher Addison, Keyshawn Bullock, Janyiah Jones.
BOOK LIST FOR EACH MONTH:
- Cartaya, Pablo. (2017). The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora. New York, NY: Viking. Lexile = 750L
- Freedman, Russell. (2016). We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement that Defied Adolf Hitler. New York, NY: Clarion. Lexile = 630L
- Gratz, Alan. (2017). Refugee. New York, NY: Scholastic. Lexile = 800L
- Lowery, Lynda Blackmon, Leacock, Elspeth, & Buckley, Susan. (2015). Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the 1965 Selma Voting Rights March (Illus. P.J. Loughran). New York, NY: Speak. Lexile = 780L
- Markell, Denis. (2016). Click Here to Start. New York, NY: Delacorte. Lexile = 670L
- Reynolds, Jason. (2016). Ghost. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster. Lexile = 730L
- Sheinkin, Steve. (2017). Undefeated: Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team. New York, NY: Roaring Brook Press. Lexile = 980L
- Smith, Ronald. (2015). Hoodoo. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Lexile = 600L
- Standish, Ali. (2017). The Ethan I was Before. New York, NY: HarperCollins. Lexile = 730L
- Wientge, Kristi. (2017). Karma Khullar’s Mustache. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster. Lexile (not available)