4th Grade Math
· Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems.
· Gain familiarity with factors and multiples.
· Generate and analyze patterns.
· Generalize place value understanding for multi-digit whole numbers.
· Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
· Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering.
· Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of operations on whole numbers.
· Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions.
· Solve problems involving measurement & conversion of measurements from a larger unit to a smaller unit.
· Represent and interpret data.
· Geometric measurement: understand concepts of angle and measure angles.
· Draw and identify lines and angles, and classify shapes by properties of their lines and angles.
5th Grade Math
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Write and interpret numerical expressions.
- Analyze patterns and relationships.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Understand the place value system.
- Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Number and Operations—Fractions
- Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
Measurement and Data
- Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
- Graph points on the coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- Classify two-dimensional figures into categories based on their properties.
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.