W.S. Hornsby 8th Grade Mathematics
By the end of grade eight, students will understand and use in probability, geometry, number
sense, and algebra. The standards are fully explained on the Common Core Georgia Standards
Common Core Georgia Performance Standards
In Grade 8, instructional time should focus on three critical areas: (1) formulating and
reasoning about expressions and equations, including modeling an association in bivariate
data with a linear equation, and solving linear equations and systems of linear equations; (2)
grasping the concept of a function and using functions to describe quantitative relationships;
(3) analyzing two- and three-dimensional space and figures using distance, angle, similarity,
and congruence, and understanding and applying the Pythagorean Theorem.
Content standards for Grade 8 are arranged within the following domains and clusters:
The Number System
• Know that there are numbers that are not rational, and approximate them by rational
Expressions and Equations
• Work with radicals and integer exponents.
• Understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations.
• Analyze and solve linear equations and pairs of simultaneous linear equations.
• Define, evaluate, and compare functions.
• Use functions to model relationships between quantities.
• Understand congruence and similarity using physical models, transparencies, or geometry
• Understand and apply the Pythagorean Theorem.
• Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving volume of cylinders, cones and
Statistics and Probability
• Investigate patterns of association in bivariate data.
Materials/Supplies: Students are required to bring the following items to class everyday.
Binder with Dividers/ Notebook Paper, Pencil, Laptop
Rules & Classroom Management Policies
Students are expected to come to class everyday prepared and ready to learn with a positive
attitude. Students are required to act in a behavior conducive to learning, according to Richmond County Schools code of conduct, and those rules established by W.S. Hornsby Middle School.
Classroom Grading & Evaluation Policy
Students will receive a grade based on the following categories:
Class work 30%