Richmond County Schools Graduation Requirements
Students enrolled in Grade 9 for the first time during 2015-16 (Class of 2020)
To earn a high school diploma, students must earn the specified 23 Carnegie units.
HIGH SCHOOL COURSES
- 9th Grade Literature/Composition (1 unit)
- American Literature/Composition (1 unit)
- 2 Additional Units in English/Language Arts (At Josey we offer 10th Grade Literature/Composition and British Literuature)
- Algebra (1 unit)
- Geometry (1 unit)
- Algebra II (1 unit)
- 4th year math (1unit)
4th year math options: Advanced Mathematical Decision Making, Pre-Calculus or *AP Statistics, Dual Enrollment course or other math courses.
*Note: Pre-Calculus is a pre-requisite
- Biology (1 unit)
- Physical Science or Physics (1 unit)
- Chemistry, Earth Systems, Environmental Science or an AP course (1 unit)
- Additional Science Unit (1 unit)
*Any AP/IB science course may be substituted for the appropriate courses listed above.
- American Government (.5 units)
- Economics (.5 units)
- World History or AP World History (1 unit)
- U.S. History or AP U.S. History (1 unit)
Health and Physical Education
- Health and Safety (.5 units)
- Personal Fitness (.5 units)*
*Three(3) units of credit in JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) may be used to satisfy the requirements
CTAE (Career Technology, Agriculture, and Education)and/or Fine Arts, and/or Modern Language/Latin
- 3 units in CTAE, Fine Arts or Modern Language/Latin
*Students are encouraged to select courses in a focused area of interest
Additional Elective Units
For students entering a University System of Georgia institution, two units of the same World language is required; many colleges and universities require 3 units.