Health & PE 6th & 7th grades
Personal FItness 8th grade
Coach Lori Wooley - Course Syllabus 2019-2020
Course Description and Objectives
Active participation improves a student’s overall abilities in sports, coordination, and skill level. I require participation in order to improve, learn and practice new skills for a variety of sports. Each activity offers a new opportunity for students to broaden their scope of Physical Education and to gain a variety of skills for future enjoyment. Physical Education and Health are important concepts student’s will use the rest of their lives and are vital for overall wellness.
Major Course Goals
Students will be able to manipulate objects while increasing overall flexibility and coordination. Through Physical Education and Health classes, the students will learn to determine a healthy and balanced diet with exercise and increase their level of physical fitness. Our goal is to promote high levels of fitness, encourage fair play, good sportsmanship, and increase the wellness of each student.
Major Course Projects and Instructional Activities
PE- Students will participate in the Presidential Fitness Challenge and the FitnessGram assessment (Pre and Post-test). This data will assist us in tracking a student’s fitness levels and growth in each area of physical fitness.
Health – Students will participate in a variety of curricula that will educate them on better decision-making skills, nutrition, first aid, and overall wellness; they will also interview parents with general questions about Health and wellness concepts. This strengthens communication between parents and students and allows parents to increase open communication with their students on health topics.
Course Assessment Plan
Students will receive a variety of assignments designed to enhance their learning. If a student is absent, the student is responsible for the missed assignment. Students who have an excused absence will be allowed five days to turn in the missed assignment. No work will be accepted after five days.
- Always do your best- NEVER give up!
- Be on time (have a pass if you are tardy).
- Be prepared for class (either pencil and paper for Health or clothing for PE)
- Participate in discussions and ASK questions if you are unsure about a topic.
30% (minimum of three per grading period)
**This can be any form of test. Skills test for PE or paper/pen test or oral exam for Health.**
60% (minimum of nine per grading period)
**This can be any daily grade – dressing out, participation, hand-outs/worksheets, etc.**
10% (at teacher’s discretion)
**Homework can consist of worksheets, skills to practice, signed activities between parent and
Follow all school rules and policies
- Being Respectful
- Being Responsible
- Be a Leader
Classroom Procedures & Expectations
- Enter classroom using inside/quiet voices.
- Go directly to your seat.
- Prepare yourself for class (pen, pencil, paper, homework, etc.)
- Raise hand to:
- Get out of seat
- Participate in discussions
- Answer questions
- Exit class in an organized manner leaving your area free of trash and clutter.
Physical Education / Gym
- Enter gym and sit in designated bleachers.
- After roll call, dress out in locker rooms and return to gym for exercises (5 minutes).
- Participate daily- try your best!
- Stay in gym unless you have been given permission to leave
- Dismissal is organized – you report directly back to core classes. (No wandering halls.)
Pen, pencil, paper, dresses out clothing and tennis shoes are required for class.
Teacher Contact Information
In order to schedule a conference with your teachers, please contact the Guidance Office 706-821-2766.