ELA 6th Grade- Course Syllabus
W.S. Hornsby 4-8
320 Kentucky Avenue
Augusta, Ga 30901
6Th Grade ELA Course Syllabus
L. A. Thomas
email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Class YouTube Channel: Flipped Paws https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbJUzgsyKOe4Itu-cEIuvNw
***Textbook (to be determined)
2-3 inch Binder ( used for all classes)
loose leaf paper
2 composition notebooks (writing journal and interactive notebook)
pens ( blue, black and any color other than red)
crayons or colored pencils
personal pencil sharpener
earphones or earbuds (THIS IS REQUIRED DAILY)
THIS IS A "FLIPPED CLASSROOM"
CLICK THE LINKS TO LEARN ABOUT FLIPPED LEARNING
****In order to have greater academic outcomes, students may be required to read or prepare for the next day's activities AT HOME. This may have several looks....taking books and worksheets home in physical form and/or accessing resources ONLINE through the Canvas LMS. Click the link to access teh appropriate Orientation for your student, create a parent account and access other Canvas resources.
6th Grade ELA has 4 Units. Units 1-2 are in the first semester. The course schedule and curriculum map will only be posted for the months of September- December. The syllabus and course schedule will be updated before students return from the Winter Break for the remaining two units.
WEEK 1: GETTING TO KNOW YOU - RITUALS, ROUTINES AND RESPONSIBILITIES(6 DAYS)
Unit 1: How Do We Form Friendships? (27 days)
- In what ways can your actions shape your future?
- How do your life circumstances affect the types of friendships you develop?
- How do people grow and change to adapt to difficult situation
- BIG IDEAS
- determine the theme of a text, analyze plot elements, summarize text absent of personal opinions
- compare and contrast two texts
- write narratives
Book Study: Holes by Louis Sachar
As a PBIS incentive, students will actually watch the entire movie HOLES during the week of October 19-23, 2020
Students have a NOVEL Project due October 22, 2020 by their class period. Please check teh Canvas Language Arts homepage and click on the PROJECT picture for a downloadable document with instructions and rubrics for the project.
BUFFER WEEK: REMEDIATION, ACCELERATION, CATCH UP AND UNIT POST TEST (2 days)
UNIT PRE ASSESSMENT AND INTRODUCTION (2 DAYS)
Unit 2: What makes someone Effective or Successful? (26 DAYS)
- What does it take to be successful in life?
- How do our habits affect our lives?
- What is a growth mindset, and how does it help develop grit?
- BIG IDEAS
Analyze how key concepts are introduced, illustrated, and elaborated in a text
Analyze how portions of the text fit within the overall structure of the text
Analyze how the structure of a text contributes to the development of theme, plot and setting
- Determine the author's purpose and point of view
- write informative/explanatory essay
Book Study: 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey
BUFFER WEEK: REMEDIATION, ACCELERATION , CATCH UP AND UNIT POST TEST (2 days)
Wednesday- New Lesson (Whole Group Instruction)
Friday- Stations, Games, Interactive Learning, Intervention, Acceleration
HOMEWORK- See the Flipped Learning Video.
GRADE LEVEL RULES
1. Students will leave backpacks, purses, and cellular devices (unless requested by an instructor for class) in homeroom until the end of the day. Accommodations will be made for students with special circumstances.
2. Each student will have ONLY 3 restroom passes per quarter (9 weeks). Other content areas instructors may have the same restroom allocations.
3. Students must complete and turn in all homework assignments by Friday end of class to be graded and entered into the grade book in a timely manner.
4. Jaguars are expected to be respectful, responsible, and ready to learn. This means being prepared with all classroom materials, pre-activity lessons, etc.
Classroom disruptions, disrespect to self, staff, and students are zero tolerance. BULLYING in any form is NOT TOLERATED. W.S. Hornsby is a family and we do not hurt each other...we HELP each other.
Students will be challenged this year! Every student can succeed. Expect to have your child work hard, read more, write more, and possibly COMPLAIN more. If they aren't struggling at some point they aren't learning. Expectations for the Hornsby family have been set high. The teachers will meet those standards and push our students to do the same. Success is in our future...We Can and We Will...Watch!!