Welcome to First Grade and the 2019-2020 school year! This year will be packed full of information and learning! You will be amazed at just how much your child will grow this year.
Staying involved in your child’s education is the key to a successful year. Engage your child in conversation about his/her day. Another way to stay involved is to check your child’s take-home folder every night. They may be packed with school assignments, homework, projects, flyers, notices from the office, as well as notes from their teacher. As daunting as it may be, try to sort through them and read each one. They often contain important information and reminders.
Academic Yearly Overview
- In first grade, students will use individualized learning stations to master all academic content standards.
- Math - numbers 0-120, counting, time, addition, subtraction, and place value.
- Reading/Language Arts – 200+ DOLCH sight words, story retell, oral reading fluency, vocabulary, comprehension
- Writing – progressing from writing sentences to paragraphs, fundamentals of a narrative, informational, and opinion writing compositions
- Science – weather & seasons, water, sound, lights & shadows, magnets, plants & animals
- Social Studies – the contributions and positive character traits of historical figures and geography
- Weekly Common Assessments for Math, Phonics Words, Language, and Reading Comprehension Science, Social Studies will be given EVERY Friday! (Unless noted differently on the homework calendar.) Common Assessments will be given on the current standard or a previously taught standard.
Behavior Policy / Homework
All 1st-grade teachers will follow the same 7 Step Policy. This will be the basis for your child’s conduct grade. Conduct does count toward a grade this year! Homework will be sent home nightly and will be included in the conduct grade.
7 Step Policy
- Nonverbal Warning – eye contact
- Verbal Warning
- Close proximity to the teacher
- Redirect behavior & a note home
- Time out - IN the classroom
- Time out - OUT of the classroom
- Office Referral