GLENN HILLS MIDDLE SCHOOL
FACILITATOR: MS. VALECIA POPE
In this course students will study Georgia geography, history, government, and economics. While the four strands are interwoven, ample opportunity is also provided for in-dept study of the geography of Georgia and this government of Georgia. U.S. historical evens are included, as appropriate, to ensure students understand Georgia’s role in the history of the United States.
Unit 1: Georgia Geography / Early People / Exploration / Colonization
Unit 2: American Revolution / Statehood / Westward Expansion
Unit 3: Civil War / Reconstruction / New South
Unit 4: The 20th Century and World Wars (WWI through post WWII)
Unit 5: Civil Rights / Modern Georgia
Unit 6: Personal Finance
Rules & Expectations:
- Observe ALL rules in the Student Code of Conduct on Internet Safety & Digital Citizenship
- Follow directions the first time.
- Be prepared for class on time. (reviewed previous lesson, pencils sharpened, paper, etc.)
- Speak at appropriate times.
- Respect your teachers & classmates
- Remain seated until the teacher dismisses the class.
- Reliable computer w/ internet access
- Headset (earbuds)
- Composition Book
- loose leaf notebook paper
- Color pencils
- Verbal Warning and Redirection of Behavior
- Verbal Warning and Call Parent / Guardian – annotation of contact added to contact log
- Referral to Guidance
- Parent Conference
- Referral to Administration
Parental / Guardian Role:
If for any reason all students have to go virtual (online)…, parents will have access to CANVAS just as the students. By logging into the CANVAS app/site with your child, you will have an accurate snapshot of the student’s day. The page is designed to serve as your one-stop daily view of your child’s school day and it is a great conversation tool to discuss successes and areas that need attention. You can also message your student’s teachers and interact with class stories posted by teacher.
Please contact teacher via email firstname.lastname@example.org Canvas communication link with any questions and concerns. You will receive a response within 24 hours. If you do not hear back within 24 hours, send another email please. You can also sign up for Remind for notification: https://www.remind.com/join/284bab
*** Reminder: Electronics that are NOT used for educational purposes (as outlined by the Richmond County’s BYOT regulations will not be permitted and will be confiscated if a student uses such items not according to policy! The dress code will be strictly enforced. Prohibited items include, but are not limited to, jeans with holes, mini-skirts, sagging pants, bandanas, and leggings (unless covered by the appropriate length garment). HOODS and HATS will not be worn inside the building. Students who refuse to comply will be in violation of Richmond County’s dress code policy and subject to discipline.
Late Assignment/ Missing Work Policy
- Each day an assignment is late, a 5-point deduction will be given to the overall assignment grade. For grade recovery, a conference will be required with student and parents to discuss missing work and highest possible grades if it is submitted.
A: 100-90 B: 80 – 89 C: 75- 79 D: 74 – 70 F: 69 and below (Unsatisfactory; did not meet the expectation)
Acknowledgment of Syllabus
By signing below, the student and parent/guardian acknowledge that they have read and understood the contents in the 2021-2022 8th Grade Georgia Studies syllabus.