6th Grade Earth Science
Course Description and Objectives:
The middle school earth science course is designed to give all students an overview of common strands in earth science including, but not limited to, meteorology, geology, astronomy, oceanography, resources, and human impact on the earth.
Your son/daughter will be reading, writing, and exploring various aspects including Geology, Weathering and Erosion, Inside the Earth, Water, Climate and Weather, and the Solar system.
Students will be given homework each night from Monday -Thursday. All students will write their homework in their agenda. In addition, I will enter the homework on my class webpage. If your child has not received an agenda yet, please check in his/her notebook for science homework.
Assignments and Absences:
Students will receive a variety of assignments designed to enhance their learning. If a student is absent, the student is responsible for the missed assignment. Students who have an excused absence will be allowed five days to turn in the missed assignment. No work will be accepted after five days.
School Wide Grading Policy:
Summative Assessments/Projects (Tests, Daily Question Notebook, Projects): 35%
Formative Assessments (Labs, Mini Projects, Quizzes): 30%
Follow all school rules and policies:
- Being Respectful
- Being Responsible
- Being Ready
Classroom Procedures & Expectations:
1. Walk into the classroom quietly and take your seat.
2. If you are tardy, you must have a pass from either the office or teacher that kept you late.
3. If need be, sharpen your pencil or visit the wastebasket before class begins. This must be done within the first minutes of coming to class.
4. As soon as you are seated, get out all materials needed for class.
5. During assessments you are to raise your hand if you have a question and I will come to you. Always bring a book to read after you finish your test as not everyone will finish the test at the same time.
6. During class work, raise your hand and I will come to you and if I am with another student, wait patiently and I will get to your question.
8. If you are absent, it is your responsibility to check with me to see which assignments you missed. It is your responsibility to complete the assignments within five days.
9. Do not stand up, pack your book bag, clear off your desk or leave the classroom until instructed to do so.
10. During a fire or tornado drill, remain calm and walk quietly to our designated areas.
11. During any announcements be quiet and listen until they are finished.
Science Textbook, Georgia, Earth & Science, Publisher McGraw Hill Education/Glenco.
Science Workbook, Interactive Science Essentials, Publisher McGraw Education/Glenco.
Notification of Assignments/Updates
Please visit the school website under the Parent Section to see a Week at a Glance for assignments and HW for the week.
Grades for assignments will be posted within three days of the due date.