Process for Policies
Each year after the legislative session, policies are reviewed based on the changes in laws and State rules. A policy committee reviews, makes changes, and presents them to the Superintendent. The Superintendent places them on the Board agenda to sit for 30 days for stakeholder input and then to vote on the changes after the input is reviewed.
For brand new policies or to rescind old policies, the policy committee meets, reviews data and makes recommendations to the Superintendent. The Superintendent places them on the Board agenda to sit for 30 days for stakeholder input before final approval by the Board of Education.
- Determine policies that need to be updated based on waivers or stakeholder input.
- Meet with attorney to determine which policies/procedures need to be updated based on legislative changes.
- Review pertinent data that may assist in decision making - this data may be stakeholder input, student performance data, or updates in the laws.
- Create a policy calendar with dates for the policy committee to review and submit policies to the Superintendent.
- The policy committee makes changes to policies based on data and pertinent information and submits the changes to the Superintendent for review.
- Copies of the policies are sent to the Board Members and Attorney for review before the Board meetings.
- The Superintendent places updated, new, or policies that need to be removed on the Board agenda for a 30-day feedback period.
- The Board of Education reviews any stakeholder feedback and votes on the policies.
- Review the policy calendar to make sure policies have been placed on the Board agenda.
- Update policies and procedures on eBoard after being approved.