Richmond County Schools Graduation Requirements
Students enrolled in Grade 9 for the first time during 2015-16 (Class of 2019)
To earn a high school diploma, students must earn the specified 23 Carnegie units.
HIGH SCHOOL COURSES
· 9th Grade Literature/Composition (1 unit)
· American Literature/Composition (1 unit)
· 2 Additional Units in English/Language Arts
· Algebra (1 unit)
· Geometry (1 unit)
· Algebra II (1 unit)
· 4th year math (1unit)
4th year math options: Advanced Mathematical Decision Making, Pre-Calculus or AP Statistics, Dual Enrollment course or other math courses.
*Note: Pre-Calculus is a pre-requisite for AP Calculus
· Biology (1 unit)
· Physical Science or Physics (1 unit)
· Chemistry, Earth Systems, Environmental Science or an AP course
· Additional Science Unit (1 unit)
*Any AP/IB science course may be substituted for the appropriate courses listed above.
· American Government (.5 units)
· Economics (.5 units)
· World History or AP World History (1 unit)
· U.S. History or AP U.S. History (1 unit)
Health and Physical Education
· Health and Safety (.5 units)
· Personal Fitness (.5 units)*
*Three(3) units of credit in JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) may be used to satisfy the requirements
CTAE (Career Technology, Agriculture, and Education)and/or Fine Arts, and/or Modern Language/Latin
3 units in CTAE, Fine Arts or Modern Language/Latin
*Students are encouraged to select courses in a focused area of interest
Additional Elective Units
For students entering a University System of Georgia institution, two units of the same World language is required; many colleges and universities require 3 units.