Stoddard's Savvy Scholars
Welcome to 2nd Grade!
Welcome to Stoddards’ Savvy Scholars
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to Jamestown Elementary. My name is Mrs. Stoddard. I am looking forward to many exciting and challenging academic adventures and experiences with your child. I would like to take a moment to give you an overview of what to expect this year.
I will be teaching all of the students the ELA (English Language Arts) skills that they will need to be successful in second grade. We will be improving and growing our skills in phonics, phonological awareness, comprehension, high-frequency words, vocabulary and writing through the Benchmark Literacy curriculum. You will have many opportunities to assist your child with reinforcing skills that are being taught in the classroom. There are several assessments that we will be using to ensure that these skills are being mastered. These assessments include a program called I Ready (which will test the mastery level of both reading and math).
We feel that a good parent-teacher relationship is necessary for maximum school success. You may contact us either via phone, email, ClassDojo or written notes. My contact information can be found below. There will also be opportunities for parents to assist with classroom activities and fieldtrips. Parents who would like to volunteer must receive Parent Volunteer training. This training is a requirement from the Board of Education. As soon as I am made aware of the training dates I will pass them along to you.
Few Other Reminders
- Please discuss homework and daily conduct with your child each night. Your child’s conduct can be viewed on Class Dojo.
- Remember to send a light sweater or jacket (name on the label) for classroom use.
- Signed papers will be sent home on Tuesdays. Please review the papers and return the entire pack signed the next day.
- If your child’s mode of transportation changes for any reason, please send a note or email stating the changes. (Please be aware that emails may not be answered until the end of day due to our busy schedules.)
- If your contact information changes please send in a note or contact me via email (listed below) as soon as possible. You never know when an emergency may arise.
- If you choose to celebrate your child’s birthday with classmates, this can be arranged during your child’s lunch time.
- On occasion it will be necessary for your child to bring money to school. Always send money in a sealed envelope or zip lock bag that is labeled with your child’s full name, amount of money, and purpose for the money.
I look forward to working with your child and having your support this school year. If you need to contact me for any reason, you may leave a message at the school (706)796-4760 or email me at Stoddsh@boe.richmond.k12.ga.us