Smart CookiesName: Ms. Latonya Fortune M.EDTitle: 5th grade Social Studies TeacherPhone: 706.772.6240Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgDear Parents:
Welcome to Ms. Fortune's 5th grade Smart Cookies Social Studies Class 2017-2018! I am looking forward to having a great year with you and your student. Here are just a few things that you and your student should know about our classroom academics, expectations, grading policy and procedures.
Our 5th grade Social Studies Scope and Sequence: These are our major topics of discussion and what we will learn about this year:
- The Civil War and Reconstruction
- The turn of the Century, World War I, The Great Depression
- World War II
- The Cold War. The Civil Rights Movement
- America's role in the 21st Centery
- Preview of sixth grade
My Instructional Philosophy
Just like pebbles on a beach, each one of my students are unique and requrie a unique approch tho their learning development.
Grading Scales/Weights (RCBOE Policy)
A = 100 - 90 Excellent achievement
B = 89 -80 Above average achievement
C = 79 - 70 Average achievement
F = 69 - 0 Has not met expected achievement
Unit Assessments 30%
Formative Test/ Quizzes Assessments 30%
Class work/Participation 25%
Course Assessment Plan
Homework/ Projects are given a due date. If the assignment is late the students will receive -2 points for each day after the due date. (Ex. Due date is 8/18/13 and it is turned in on 8/23/13. The student will receive 10 points off his/her total grade.)
- Students are required to keep a social studies notebook with class work, assignments and other information.
- The students will be taking a pretest and posttest for each unit. The test will consist of multiple choice questions and open-ended responses. Test will be announced.
- *Tutoring Days will be announced at a later date*
Classroom Daily Procedures/Expected Student Behavior:
- Complete quickwrite, Engaging opening, Introduction of Concept, Review and Practice,
Ticket out the Door.
- Students are expected to bring good manners and proper behavior to class. Please be respectful of yourself, your teachers and your classmates. The class will create our classroom constitution, and a copy will be sent home with your studen's signature as well as a place for you to sign.
- Consequences of poor behavior are 1. Warning, 2. Behavior contract, 3. Time Out to another class and Parental Notification. 4. Office Referral.
- Do not bring food, gum, candy or drinks to class.
Parent Conference Times
I am open to scheduling a conference on a different day that works for both of our schedules.
Deer Chase Elementary phone number - 706-772-6240
*Please allow for a 24 hour turn around response time.
These are the basic guidelines for our class this year. I will be discussing them with your students at length in class. Please feel free to call or send a note if you have any questions or concerns.