Hephzibah Elementary Historical Perspective
Hephzibah Elementary School (HES) is a public school located in Hephzibah, Georgia, a rural community approximately fifteen miles south of Augusta, GA. The school is one of 30 elementary schools within the Richmond County School System. The history of Hephzibah Elementary dates back to the early 1840’s when the community of Brothersville (renamed Hephzibah) was settled and a field school was established. Through the years, Hephzibah Elementary has gone through many changes. The current school opened its state of the art building in August 2001. HES presently serves about 393 elementary students in grades Pre-K thru fifth grade. The residency status of the citizens of Hephzibah is primarily stable and many have ancestry that can be traced back a century or more in the same area, many within the same household.
Dr. Lynn Duncan was the first principal of the current HES school building. She was principal of the new building from 2001 until 2005. Dr. Frances Ellison served as principal from August 2005 until her retirement in June 2010. Mrs. Kimberly Davis served as principal from August 2010 until June 2012. Mr. Timothy Jones served as principal from August 2012 until March 2019. In March 2019, Mr. Scott Kennedy became HES current principal.