Course Description and Objectives
This is a continuing course, in a sequence of courses, designed to provide students with a rigorous program of study in first grade. Students will understand number sense, adding and subtracting within 100, word problems, composing and decomposing 2d and 3d shapes, comparing objects, living things, weather/seasons, light and sound, magnets, matter, story elements, comparing texts, comparing and contrasting characters, location, historical figures, economics, character traits, and landforms.
Language Arts: Phonics, Compare/Contrast characters, Story elements, Main Idea, Comparing Texts
Math: Students in first grade will extend the count sequence, develop place value understanding, use part-whole strategies to add and subtract, create and describe patterns to develop algebraic reasoning, reason with measurement of time and objects, reason with shapes and their attributes, and answer real-life questions using data and statistical reasoning.
Science : Weather/Seasons, Living Things, Light/Sound, Magnets, Matter
Social Studies: Location, Historic Figures, Economics, Character Traits, Landforms
Course Assessment Plan
Students will receive a variety of assignments designed to enhance their learning. If a student is absent, the student is responsible for the missed assignment. Students who have an excused absence will be allowed five days to turn in the missed assignment. No work will be accepted after five days.
Evaluation (Schoolwide Grading Policy)
All subjects are graded on a 1-4 Rubric Scale:
ND- Not Demonstrated
NA- Not available
Classroom Procedures & Expectations
The overarching expectation in this class is RESPECT: respect for yourself, respect for other students, respect for the teacher/or any individual in authority, and respect for any guests that may enter our class. Although this encompasses all other expectations, I will outline several others for the sake of clarity.
- Always TRY YOUR BEST!!! I will not settle for anything but your best!!
- Have the “I can do it” attitude! Stick To It and Don’t Give Up!
- Remain SEATED and PREPARED at all times.
- Bring ALL the materials to class DAILY.
- Every student is responsible for helping to maintain a clean, safe learning environment. Your area must remain CLEAN at all times. The floor should be clear of trash, paper, and personal belongings.
- Adhere to all the policies, rules, and regulations outlined in the student handbook, and W.S. Hornsby Norms.
- Listen to the teacher at all times
My contact information: