Several years ago Mrs. Helen Ruffin, a very dynamic and innovative person was the library media specialist at Sky Haven Elementary School in DeKalb County, Georgia. In 1985, she served on the selection committee for the Georgia Children’s Book Award nominee program. This literature program began in the Department of Language Education at the University of Georgia’s College of Education. This literature program inspired her to use the nominee books to encourage her students to read.
Mrs. Ruffin created a unique reading competition in game format using the award nominees. It was called the Reading Bowl. Her vision was to have teams comprised of students from different schools compete to test their knowledge of the selected books. She shared this vision with her colleagues. They embraced her idea and pressed forward.
Today, the Georgia Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl is open to students in grades four through twelve across the state.
Select students at Blythe Elementary will work throughout the year with our Media Specialist, Mrs. David, to prepare for the Richmond County Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl.
The following list is for elementary schools.
- Creech, Sharon. (2018). Saving Winslow. New York, NY: Harper Collins.
- DiCamillo, Kate. (2018). Louisiana’s Way Here. Somerville, Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.
- Kelly, Lynne. (2019). Song for a Whale. New York, NY: Delacorte Press.
- Korman, Gordon. (2019). The Unteachables. New York, NY: Balzer + Bray.
- Magoon, Kekla. (2018). Season of Styx Malone. New York, NY: Wendy Lamb Books.
- McDunn, Gillian. (2019). Caterpillar Summer. New York, NY: Bloomsbury.
- Raúf, Onjali Q. (2019). The Boy at the Back of the Class. New York, NY: Delacorte Press.
- Savage, Melissa. (2017). Lemons. New York, NY: Crown Books for Young Readers.
- Swender, Jennifer. (2019). Solving for M. New York, NY: Crown Books for Young Readers.
- Watson, Renée. (2019). Some Places More than Others. New York, NY: Bloomsbury.