WORLD HISTORY SYLLABUS
HEPHZIBAH HIGH SCHOOL
MR. GRAHAM – Room 302
The high school world history course provides students with a comprehensive, intensive study of major events and themes in world history. Students begin with a study of the earliest civilizations worldwide and continue to examine major developments and themes in all regions of the world. The course culminates in a study of change and continuity and globalization at the beginning of the 21st century
Topics Covered in Class:
- Societies in the Ancient World from 3500 BCE/BC to 500 BCE/BC
- Chinese and Indian Societies to 500CE/AD
- Classical Mediterranean societies
- Byzantine and Mongol Empires
- Medieval Mediterranean World
- Early African Societies
- European Medieval Society
- Central and South American Societies
- Renaissance and Reformation
- Expansion into the Americas, Africa, Asia
- Political and Social changes in Japan and in China
- Ottoman, Safavid, and Mughal Empires
- Change in European World view
- Age of Revolutions
- Industrialization and Urbanization
- World War I
- World War II
- Cold War and Decolonization
- 3 Ring Binder – at least 1 inch
- Ink Pen; Black or Blue ONLY
- Notebook paper
- Book Cover
- Index Cards
- Colored Pencils, tissue, and hand sanitizer are recommended.
40% Summative assessments (including Chapter and Unit tests and Unit assessments)
35% Formative assessments (including content quizzes; vocabulary quizzes; reading, writing and research assignments [projects], etc.)
25% Daily Work/Homework/Class participation/Preparedness (Note Checks, etc.)
Make-up and Late Work Policy:
Students will have an opportunity to make up missed work. Make up work will be done after school within 5 school days of the absence. It is the student’s responsibility to check grades on Infinite Campus, to obtain missed assignments or information, and to arrange after school make-up/remediation sessions with the teacher.
This course syllabus is a general plan for the course; all information contained in the course syllabus is subject to change. Any changes will be announced in class and a revised syllabus will be distributed to students to be shared with their parents/guardians.
***I have reviewed this syllabus and understand the opportunities for and expectations of my student and/or myself.***
(Parent signature here) (Date)
(Student signature here) (Date)
CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS & CONSEQUENCES
- BE PROMPT. Be in your assigned seat working when the bell rings. Remain in your seat unless given permission to be up. Raise your hand to be recognized before speaking.
- BE PREPARED. Bring the following to class EVERYDAY: book, notebook, paper and pen. You will not be able to pass this class if you repeatedly fail to bring the materials to class
- BE POSITIVE. Encourage and respect one another. Within this class we will also exercise common courtesy and one person will talk at a time please raise your hand before speaking. We shall respect the other people in the class, their property and their opinions.
- Mr. Graham will dismiss class. Remain seated until the bell rings and you are dismissed.
- Always label work you will submit NAME/DATE/PERIOD/ASSIGNMENT in upper right hand corner of the page.
- Plagiarism and Cheating (including copying another student’s work) will not be tolerated.
- No eating or drinking in class.
- NO HALL PASSES will be given. Attend to personal business BEFORE class.
- No sleeping or head on the desk in class.
NOTE: The Richmond County School System Code of Conduct will be enforced at all times.
- The first offense of these rules will result in a verbal warning.
- The second offense will result in Parental Contact/ Parent Conference.
- The third offense will result in an office referral/ administrative procedures.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS & CONSEQUENCES
Teacher Signature ___________________________________ Date: _______________
Student Signature ___________________________________ Date: _______________
Parent/Guardian Signature _______________________________ Date: _______________