Degrees and Certifications:
Ms. Karen Thompson
AP Human Geography, certified
Dear AP Human Geography student,
Welcome to AP Human Geography! This year-long college level course will challenge and push you to understand human spatial patterns at many different levels. According to the AP College Board the purpose of this course is to introduce students to the systematic study of patterns and processes that have shaped human understanding, use, and alteration of Earth’s surface. You will employ spatial concepts and landscape analysis to examine human social organization and its environmental consequences. You will also learn about the methods and tools geographers use in their science and practice.” You will practice the act of “thinking geographically.”
Under supplies you will notice the AMSCO AP Human Geography Book. It is listed as optional but is highly recommended for the course. The AMSCO AP Human Geography Book aligns well with College Board and will be a great resource to you if you choose to purchase this.
Please keep in mind that AP Human Geography is a college level course. There will be a lot of reading, analyzing, discussing and notetaking. It is expected that students spend about three hours a week reading or studying the course content. I am confident that you will all give AP Human Geography class your best.
It is going to be an exciting year and I look forward to “thinking geographically” with all of you.
- Use and think about maps and spatial data.
- Understand and interpret the implications of associations among phenomena in places.
- Recognize and interpret at different scales the relationships among patterns and processes.
- Define regions and evaluate the regionalization process
- Characterize and analyze changing interconnections among places.
- Notebook and/or College Ruled Lined paper for notetaking
- Blue/Black pen
- Colored Pencils
- Optional- AMSCO AP Human Geography Book (This book is highly recommended and is about $27.50 on Amazon)
- Donations of tissue boxes and hand sanitizer are greatly appreciated.
- Due the first day of school, Monday, August 9th
-Bachelor's of Arts in History, University of Hawaii at Manoa
-Master's in Education and Teaching, University of Hawaii at Manoa
-Certified in the content area of Secondary Education Social Studies
-Eight years teaching experience
-Model United Nations Sponsor
-HSSC 2023 Co sponsor
AP Human Geography Exam Day- MAY 5, 2022, NOON