What is Academic Decathlon?
The Academic Decathlon is a ten-event scholastic competition for teams of high school students.
Each high school enters a team of nine students: 3 "A" or Honor students (3.750 - 4.00 GPA), 3 "B" or Scholastic students (3.00 - 3.749 GPA), and 3 "C or below" Varsity students (0.00 - 2.999 GPA).
2020 Theme: In Sickness and in Health: An Exploration of Illness and Wellness
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to the biology of cancer.
- LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be the 1818 version of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
- ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will largely focus on an exploration of illness and wellness in art.
- MUSIC: The music curriculum will introduce students to various musical works from across the centuries that will allow them to examine the role of mortality in Western art music.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will introduce students to the history of healthcare.
- ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on health economics.
- MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover algebra and trigonometry.*