PHASE I - ESPLOST
The first Richmond County ESPLOST passed in 1997. This Phase I of the ongoing Richmond County Board of Education Building Program was completed in 2002 and consisted of 52 projects including seven (7) new schools and three hundred seventy-six (376) new classrooms. All were completed on time and within budget.
As a result of additional collections during Phase I, savings from the Phase I Program, and investments from these dollars, further projects were able to be completed as a part of Phase I beyond the original planned scope. Additional projects / scope included the following:
- New School - Freedom Park Elementary School
- New RCBOE Central Office
- Wilkinson Gardens Elementary School Renovations and Additions
- Hephzibah High School - Advertised for 10 new classrooms, but was able to build 15.
- Hephzibah Middle School - Advertised for 8 new classrooms, but was able to build 9 new classrooms and also re-roofing.
- Murphey Middle School - Advertised for 10 new classrooms, but was able to build 16.
- A. Brian Merry Elementary - Was able to expand the Media Center
- Barton Chapel Elementary School - Advertised for 5 new classrooms, but was able to build 9.
- Rollins Elementary School - Was able to add a new Art and Music room and also a new Bus Loop.
The total Phase I Program was approximately $150,255,000.00.