HOSPITAL / HOMEBOUND SERVICES
Every student should have the opportunity to be educated to his/her full potential regardless of physical limitations. Hospital /Homebound teachers are liaisons between the student and the school. They have the unique responsibility of coordinating and continuing the designed program of study for the hospital/homebound student. Our goal is to provide a continuous educational program for all ill or disabled students through the combined efforts of a hospital/homebound teacher, the school administration, the Department of Student Services and the parent.
WHAT ARE HOSPITAL / HOMEBOUND (HHB) SERVICES?
The child who has a medically diagnosed condition which is non-communicable and restricts him/her to his/her home or hospital for a period of time which will significantly interfere with his/her education (a minimum of 10 consecutive school days (5 days on block schedule) or for intermittent periods of time for a minimum of 10 days per year) is eligible for the service of an itinerant hospital/homebound teacher.
Whenever possible, the student's regular teacher will be asked to provide the service.
* HHB services are not intended to, and do not replace regular school services and are designed to be temporary.
DOES MY CHILD QUALIFY TO RECEIVE SERVICES?
To qualify for services all requirements below must be met.
- The student must request services in the county in which he/she resides.
- The student must already be currently enrolled in the Richmond County School System. Private and home-school students are NOT eligible for HHB services from any Georgia public school.
- Students who are suspended or expelled do not qualify for hospital/homebound services.
- The student must be anticipated to be absent a minimum of 10 consecutive school days (5 on block) or at least 10 days intermittently;
- The licensed physician or psychiatrist currently treating the student must declare the specific diagnosis, along with specific dates of absence, and verify that the student will benefit from the instructional program.
HOW CAN I REQUEST HHB SERVICES FOR MY CHILD?
Each school has a designee responsible for coordinating HHB services. Homebound Contact for each school Parents must contact the school HHB designee to access the necessary forms. Please see below for detailed information regarding how to complete a homebound request.
WHERE CAN I FIND INFORMATION ABOUT HHB SERVICES?
To access the Georgia Department of Education website on Hospital/Homebound Services: GADOE Hospital/Homebound Services
WHO CAN I CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS REGARDING HHB SERVICES?
Hospital/Homebound Services are managed through the Department of Student Services by Dr. Aronica Gloster She may be reached at 706-826-1310, x 5501. For general questions regarding HHB and assistance with processing forms, please contact Wanda Hutcheson @ (706)-826-1129.
Hospital/ Homebound Resources
This form can be used to document the specifics regarding the hospital/homebound services. SST, 504, or IEP plans can be updated and used in lieu of this ESP form. All documentation should be uploaded into the student's Person Documents Tab in Infinite Campus.