HOSPITAL / HOMEBOUND SERVICES
Amelia Holmes , Coordinator of Health Services
706-826-1310, x 5564.
For general questions regarding HHB and assistance with processing forms, please contact Wanda Hutcheson @ (706)-826-1310, ext 5190.
Every student should have the opportunity to be educated to his/her full potential regardless of physical limitations. Hospital /Homebound (HHB) teachers are liaisons between the student and the school. They have the unique responsibility of coordinating and continuing the designed program of study for the hospital/homebound student. Our goal is to provide a continuous educational program for all ill or disabled students through the combined efforts of a hospital/homebound teacher, the school administration, the Department of Student Services and the parent.
WHAT ARE HOSPITAL / HOMEBOUND (HHB) SERVICES?
Academic instruction for core classes only, for a student in grades 1-12 who has a medically diagnosed condition that will significantly interfere with their education, with said diagnosis being non-communicable, which will restrict them from physically attending school and who are confined to their home or hospital for the required minimum of 10 consecutive school days. Whenever possible, one of the student's regular teachers will be asked to provide the service.
HHB services are not intended to and do not replace regular school attendance and instruction. HHB services are designed to be temporary. Approval of homebound services does not guarantee: Passing grades, Promotion to the next grade level, Continued enrollment in a magnet or special school, or graduation.
There are two types of HHB:
- Full-time = provides 3 hours of service per week
- Intermittent = service hours vary, depending on days absent
For long-term services, updated medical information must be provided every 12 weeks for services to continue.
Submission of a completed HHB packet does not guarantee approval.
DOES MY CHILD QUALIFY TO RECEIVE SERVICES IN RICHMOND COUNTY?
To qualify for services, all requirements below must be met.
- The student must legally reside in Richmond County, prior to a request being made.
- The student must be currently enrolled in the Richmond County School System, prior to a request being made.
- Students who are suspended or expelled do not qualify for hospital/homebound services.
- The student must be expected to be absent a minimum of 10 consecutive school days Any less days than 10 will not be considered;
- The licensed physician or psychiatrist currently treating the student must declare the specific diagnosis, along with specific dates of absence, and verify that the student is free of any contagious diseases.
* Private and home-school students are NOT eligible for HHB services from any Georgia public school.
HOW CAN I REQUEST HHB SERVICES FOR MY CHILD?
Each school has a designee responsible for coordinating HHB services. School Homebound Contact List : 2022-2023 Parents must go to their children's school and speak to the designated school contact for assistance in completing the request packet. Approval of either homebound service does not guarantee passing grades, nor does it guarantee promotion to the next grade, or graduation. Submission of a completed homebound packet does not guarantee approval.
WHERE CAN I FIND INFORMATION ABOUT HHB SERVICES?
To access the Georgia Department of Education website on Hospital/Homebound Services: GADOE Hospital/Homebound Services
WHO CAN I CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS REGARDING HHB SERVICES?
* General Education students are managed through the Department of Student Services by Amelia Holmes @ 706-826-1310, x 5564. For general questions regarding HHB and assistance with processing forms, please contact Wanda Hutcheson @ (706)-826-1310, ext 5190.
* Special Education students should contact Keiante Williams or Quenshauna Motley-Smith, in the Special Education Department @ 706-826-1132, as SPED can offer "home instruction" services which are tailored specifically to the needs of your child. "Home instruction" services are for SPED students with behavior-related issues.
2022-2023 School Contacts for Homebound Services
Hospital/ Homebound Resources
HHB Teacher Information Form
Teachers who have an interest in providing HHB services should complete this form after viewing the training video and submit it to Wanda Hutcheson in Student Services.
Educational Services Plan Form
This form can be used to document the specifics regarding the hospital/homebound services. SST, 504, or IEP plans can be updated and used in lieu of this ESP form. All documentation should be uploaded into the student's Person Documents Tab in Infinite Campus.
HHB Training Verification Form
Download and complete this form after participating in or watching training webinar. Submit the completed form to Student Services. You will need to download and open in Adobe Acrobat to utilize an electronic signature.
HHB Training Video
HHB Training Webinar Recording - 2020 - 21Author:Length: