House Bill 251

  • Four Kids Smiling at Field Day


    Under a 2009 state law (O.C.G.A. § 20-2-2131), parents may request a transfer to another public school within their local school district to specified schools and grades designated as possibly having space available. In the RCSS, any school with an enrollment below 90% capacity will be considered a participating school.


    Please keep in mind that if a parent chooses to transfer a child to another school in the system, the law requires that they assume all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of the child to, and from, the school as long as the child remains at that school. If a parent does not enroll their child/children in the school that they were approved to attend by the first week of school, the House Bill 251 approval becomes obsolete.


    A student, who transfers to another school under this law may continue to attend that school until the student completes all grades of the school. A transferring student who completes all grades available at the receiving school will not be automatically eligible to attend the feeder middle or high school. A new transfer application must be submitted.


    In addition, any change of school placement which is not the result of a bona fide change of residence may impact a student’s eligibility to participate in Georgia High School Association sanctioned varsity activities and events for a period of one calendar year. The parent or legal guardian is responsible for investigating and determining such impact on eligibility and thereafter make an individual decision about the consequences of accepting a permissive transfer if approved. 


    Applications for HB251 may be completed each year from November 1st - May 1st.

    Click HERE to apply!