House Bill 224

  • Soldier talking to students in cafeteria


    Effective July 1, 2017, Georgia’s House Bill 224 allows military families to attend any public school that is located within the school system in which the military base or off-base military housing in which the student resides is located, provided space is available for additional enrollment. Each year, the school system will identify schools with available capacity and accept applications for military families to attend these schools. The list of schools with less than 90 percent capacity and the application can be found in the column to the right. Upon arrival, military families should enroll in their zoned school and complete the application to request for a transfer.


    Families wishing to apply to attend Freedom Park K-8 school must contact the School Options Specialist at (706)826-1136 for a separate application. 



    1. Enroll the student in his/her Richmond County zoned public school.

    2. Complete the Application to Request a HB 224 Transfer. The application to request a transfer should be completed within the first 30 days of enrollment. Contact Brian Hadden at for the digital application. 

    3. In the event that the number of transfer requests exceeds the available capacity in a particular school, requests will be approved based on the order in which they were received.

    4. Parents will be notified of approval or denial in writing via the e-mail address provided on the application. Once a request is approved, the parent assumes all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of their child to and from the school so long as the child remains at the assigned school.